Sunday, July 15, 2007

Sad Story

Well I haven't updated my blog because I haven't really known what to say!

The past week has been pretty crazy. I couldn't decide if I should post or not what I've been going through but after a week of reflection I think you should know what's up....

Last weekend I had planned to go on a canyoning tour with a couple friends from language school. I was signed up but didn't have my money in last minute so at the last minute went on a coffee tour instead..right...very boring but hey, good coffee.

Well much to my surprise my two friends (Tammy and Tessa) didn't return to school on Monday and I knew something wasn't quite right.

Turns out, on the tour they were repelling down a waterfall and a 'avalanche' of water came and, well...killed a family of five on the tour with them....a Costa Rican mom, dad and three children. It is a natural phenomenon and nothing anyone could control. There were five survivers: the two guides, my two friends and the 5 year old daughter of the family. It has been a difficult week considering I was almost on the tour and my friends spent several days in the hospital having watched a family of five die. They were apparently fighting for their lives for a few hours.

I haven't been able to find the news online, it was all over the news down here. Some people have said they found it but it doesn't say two Americans survived. They haven't reported that because it my hurt the tourism industry apparently.

Feel free to comment and please let me know if you find any news. The family was from Naranjo, a small town between San Jose and Arenal Volcano, close to Sarchi or San Ramon if you know Costa Rica. As of now I'm doing pretty good...I look forward to being back home with my family. Thanks for keeping updated on my trip. My Spanish has improved tremendously!!

Pura Vida!
Megan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Megan,
I am so sorry to read about the hard times you have had this last week in Costa Rica. I hope that you are well.
Annaleah

profe said...

hi megan i am pablo a costarican teacher.
i am a science teacher, righ now i study english, because there are new public bilanguaje highschool
soy de palmares cerca de naranjo y conozco muy bien ese lindo pueblo de hecho mucho excompañero de la univesidad eran de alli.
bueno mae, cuidese y tome mucho yodo (cafe)