Tuesday, July 3, 2007

First UPDATE

Well...I finally found an internet cafe to update my experience here. And what an experience it is! The first two days were major culture shock. My host family picked me up from the airport and I spent the entire weekend with them speaking only in Spanish. Tito and Flora, my host parents, are wonderful! They are an older couple with three grown children- Nelson, Alejandra and Juan Gabriel. Juan Gabriel still lives at home, but Nelson and Alejandra are married with children. They visit the house often.

We live in Carrillos de Poas. Its a small village near the base of Volcan Poas, an active volcano in Costa Rica. The town is very close to school, a 20 minute walk or 5 minute cab ride or bus ride but it is at the top of a VERY, VERY big hill. The bus drops you off at the bottom. It is not safe to walk alone up the hill so I have made friends and we share a taxi from Carrillos.

The food is very excellent. They make a huge breakfast and dinner for me and I usually eat alone. The common plate is a 'casado' which means marriage. It is meat, rice, beans, plantains and corn tortillas. The biggest shock was that first cold shower. And cold does not describe it!

I began my classes in Spanish this morning and it was a very humbling experience. My Spanish is no bueno!

I have so much to say, but little time! I will try to check back in a couple of days. It has been fun to meet all the teachers, school psychologists, counselors and social workers in my program.
More information to come! We start our lectures on the education system later this week.
Adios!
Megan

No comments: